St Mabyn Village News

News from the village of St.Mabyn in North Cornwall...

Sunday, January 07, 2007


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mabyn like this:
"MABYN (ST.), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bodmin district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles WNW of the river Camel, 4 E by N of Wadebridge, and 8 NNW of Bodmin-Road r. station; and has a post office under Bodmin, and a fair on 14 Feb. The parish comprises 4,067 acres. Real property, £5,200. Pop., 714. Houses, 153. Colquite was the seat of the Marneys. Tredeathy is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £712.* Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church is ancient but good; has a very lofty pinnacled tower; and contains some old monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £6. Peters, the author of a "Dissertation on Homer and Job, ''was rector.- The subdistrict contains also six other parishes. Acres, 28,569. Population 3,085. Houses, 636."
From A Vision of Britain Through Time website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Blog Directory for Bodmin, Cornwall Top Resources Blogs